Baby Massage courses are run for 4 consecutive weeks, during which you will learn how to carry out a developmental Baby Massage routine on your baby. Call Katy on 07887526439 for more information or to book your course.
All you need to know about Baby Massage
The sessions are all set to classical music, which is well-documented to encourage: concentration, well-balanced behavioural patterns, the capacity to learn and take in visual messages and signs. You will be provided with a laminated copy of the routine to give you the opportunity to practise the massage movements between sessions and to continue to enjoy the benefits of baby massage with your baby, once your course is completed. Baby Massage is suitable for babies aged 10 weeks to 9 months.
Baby Massage offers many benefits to the baby, including:
- Builds respect
- Weight gain
- Regular sleep patterns
- Better bond with parents
- Decrease of stress hormones
- Increase in body awareness
- Assists with muscle tone and flexibility
- Baby learns to trust their parent
- Improves immune system
- Stimulates good circulation
- Helps to regular body temperature, heartbeat and breathing rhythm
- Encourages flow of endorphines
- Eases fractiousness, anxiety, constipation and colic
During the ‘Tummy Time’ section of Baby Massage, the benefits include (from Peter Walker himself):
- Strengthening of the baby’s neck, back and trunk muscles, for when they are ready to sit, crawl and walk
- Will help avoid flathead syndrome
- They explore their world by rotating their head and rotating their bodies in different positions. This may ultimately help with cognitive development.
- Assists visual development as the baby learns to track movement and focus on objects.
- Babies less likely to develop torticollis (whereby the neck muscles tighten and pull the head in a specific position).
There are also many benefits of massage to the parent, including:
- Increase in bond with baby
- Assists with post-natal depression
- Decrease in stress hormones
- Gain self confidence
- Learn about their baby’s needs and feelings
Please bring a towel and some oil, that you have tested on your baby, at least half an hour before the beginning of your first session (to check for reactions). My recommendations would be: organic sunflower oil, grapeseed oil or coconut oil.
Certified by the International School of Developmental Baby Massage & Movement (Peter Walker)